Senior Communications Associate
The Senior Communications Associate helps to drive and deliver results for Coqual’s brand, publicity, and public information efforts, predominantly surrounding our organization’s highly respected research on workplace diversity, equity, and inclusion. The individual in this role is responsible for developing communication content and media relations that promote our research, and enhance Coqual’s visibility, image, and reputation. Coqual has recently rebranded with a vibrant new visual and verbal identity we are excited to share with the world.
Success in this position is predicated on very strong writing and content creation skills, social media experience, a high level of organization and detail orientation, passion for the media, and experience in pitching and placing stories. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have demonstrated success working collaboratively. The candidate must have both passion for diversity, equity, and inclusion. This position will report to the Vice President, Director of Communications and Marketing.
Responsibilities to include:
WRITING & CONTENT PRODUCTlON
- Write high-quality communications products for Coqual, including newsletters, email, blogs, social media posts, releases, editorial pieces, talking points, and marketing collateral
- Work well with designers to produce visual content that meets our brand identity
STRATEGY EXECUTION & SUPPORT
- Support Coqual’s overall brand and communications strategy
- Monitor the workplace diversity, equity, and inclusion beat
- Liaise with media, both reactively and through proactive outreach, including pitching, handling press inquiries, monitoring interviews, and prepping Coqual speakers with talking points on Coqual’s research data
- Cultivate relationships with reporters and maintain records of contacts, interview requests, and outcomes
DIGITAL & SOCIAL MEDIA
- Drive smart, engaging social media strategy across multiple platforms
- Lead production and posting of website content, including blog posts
- Gather, analyze, and use metrics to hone content
- Oversee website: Keep content up to date, upload and edit website content on WordPress
OTHER FOCUS AREAS
- Share Coqual content with high-visibility corporate sponsors and ensure Coqual messaging is visible, accurate, and on-brand
- Manage multiple projects, simultaneously, from conception to completion, including anticipating challenges, meeting deadlines, coordinating thought-leader schedules, and creating workback plans
- Facilitate Coqual webinars
- Work with integrity, serve as a good teammate, and uphold Coqual’s values
- Other responsibilities as needed
- 3+ years of experience in communications and/or marketing, at either a top-level agency, nonprofit, or within a Fortune 500 Company, or the equivalent
- Enthusiasm for the media and awareness of current events and coverage
- Superior and versatile writing skills are essential, including the ability to craft a convincing op-ed using Coqual data, a short engaging social media post, a clear and practical action sheet, a stirring call to action.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, or Journalism is ideal
- Strong media relations skills, including quick response to media inquiries and experience working with journalists and editors to gain placements
- Appreciation for and ability to understand complex data and communicate relevant points to a lay audience
- Excellent social media skills, including experience creating monthly content calendars
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with ability to manage multiple workstreams simultaneously, and lead project planning to meet deadlines
- Comfort and capability in public speaking
- Basic skills in Adobe Creative Cloud, including Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, as well as all Microsoft Office applications
- Familiarity in maintaining contact lists in Cision or other media contact software
- Highly discrete and disciplined in maintaining confidentiality
- Strong passion for Coqual’s mission, including diversity and inclusion topics and workplace solutions
Salary: Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits.
Location: Remote at present. Long-term location is New York, NY.
To be considered you must include these three elements:
1) two relevant writing samples
2) a resume
3) a cover letter that explains why you are interested in this job.
How to Apply
Please email resume, work samples, and cover letter to: [email protected]