Senior Accountant, Finance and Operations
Coqual is a New York based think tank that conducts research, builds community, and advises companies to design diverse, inclusive, equitable workplaces where every person belongs.
Coqual currently works with 100+ companies, many in the Fortune 500, and is organized along three pillars:
- Coqual’s Task Force of member companies – a community of global business leaders who are committed to diversity and inclusion.
- Ground-breaking research and publications on the most important issues in diversity and inclusion.
- Advisory services through our consulting group, which helps companies implement Coqual research.
Coqual is a cutting-edge, global think tank driving insights and solutions in diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are currently in growth mode and are looking for a detail-oriented and highly organized individual with a desire to make an impact. The Senior Accountant, Finance and Operations, a newly created role, will be responsible for accounting and finance duties as well as operational and administrative elements of Coqual’s business operations. This is an exciting role for talented individuals with an entrepreneurial mindset looking to further develop their skills beyond accounting and build their knowledge base in administrative and operational aspects of running a nonprofit organization. Success in this position is predicated on attention to detail, strong knowledge of accounting principles and practices, and sharp problem-solving skills. The ideal candidate will establish and maintain respected internal relationships, be an effective communicator, be comfortable switching between tasks and juggling multiple priorities, and be able to deliver polished work in a timely manner, meeting internal and external deadlines. An interest in diversity, equity, and inclusion will make this role even more rewarding. This position will report to the VP of Finance and Operations.
Accounting & Finance – 75%
- Manage month-end close, including recording cash receipts, cash disbursements, journal entries, and completing bank reconciliations
- Manage quarterly and annual close cycles, including year-end financial close and audit; liaise with external auditors to prepare accurate financial and auditing schedules, supporting documentation, etc.
- Oversee all activities related to A/P functions, including reviewing, coding, and processing invoices, ACH and wires, while ensuring proper approval procedures are followed
- Conduct all A/R functions including invoice creation, deposits, recording, and collection; run regular A/R reports and partner with department leads to ensure payment
- Maintain the general ledger in an accurate and up-to-date manner
- Partner with VP Finance and Operations to implement, monitor, and enforce financial controls
- Interpret and apply accounting policies, rules, and regulations to ensure compliance with applicable standards
- Manage tax records and file quarterly payments; facilitate year end requirements (1099s, etc.)
- Assist VP of Finance on the annual budget, monthly reporting and forecasting activities, and other ad-hoc projects related to systems implementation or process improvements
Admin & Operations– 25%
Support the organization’s administrative function across several areas, including:
- Manage new client onboarding
- Oversight of online vendor billing and project/timekeeper systems
- Review payroll
- Assist with preparation of reports for board of directors
- Renew insurance policies
- Other projects as needed
- Minimum of 5-7 years relevant experience working in accounting and bookkeeping functions
- Nonprofit accounting experience strongly desired; experience managing a nonprofit financial audit ideal
- Advanced skills in QuickBooks (5 years preferred) or similar financial software
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field and/or CPA a plus
- Excellent knowledge of accounting regulations and procedures, including GAAP and revenue recognition
- Thoroughness and attention to detail while still meeting deadlines
- Effective and flexible communication and problem-solving skills
- A team player and natural communicator and cross-collaborator
- Knowledge of vendor payment/billing systems (such as Ariba) and timekeeper reporting programs a strong plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel & Word (3 years preferred)
- Strong interest in Coqual’s mission essential
Salary: Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Competitive benefits include:
- Company Contribution to Retirement Plan (401k with Vanguard)
- Company-Subsidized Healthcare Benefits through Aetna
- Pre-Tax Commuter Benefits
- Access to a Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Professional development stipend
- Generous PTO, including 3 weeks’ vacation, personal days, and company closure between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day
How to Apply
Please email the following to [email protected]:
1) a resume and 2) a cover letter that explains why you are interested in this job along with salary requirements.
Applications will be processed on a rolling basis. Only those whose application is being considered will be contacted. No phone calls or emails, please.
Coqual wishes to attract the best talent to ensure we are delivering on our mission. We believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our success. To meet this goal, we must have a workplace where differences are appreciated and respected. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, physical and mental disability, national origin, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.