The Communications Manager helps to drive and deliver results for Coqual’s brand, publicity, and public information efforts. The individual in this role is responsible for developing communication and social media plans and implementing PR tactics that support and enhance Coqual’s visibility, image, and reputation. Coqual has recently rebranded with a vibrant new visual and verbal identity. The Communications Manager will help uphold the identity.
Success in this position is predicated on very strong writing and media relations skills, a high level of organization and detail orientation, strong social media skills, and experience in partnering across communications teams to pitch and place stories. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have demonstrated success working collaboratively. The candidate must have both passion and area knowledge in diversity and inclusion. This position will report to the Vice President, Director of Communications and Marketing.
Responsibilities to include:
WRITING & CONTENT PRODUCTlON
- Produce well-written high-quality communications products for Coqual, including newsletters, email, blogs, social media posts, releases, editorial pieces, talking points, and marketing collateral
- Work well with designers to produce professional visual content that meets our brand identity
- Propose and execute proactive outreach strategies for media relations
- Liaise with media, both reactively and through proactive outreach, including pitching, handling press inquiries, monitoring interviews, and prepping Coqual speakers with talking points on Coqual’s research data
- Cultivate relationships with reporters and maintain records of contacts, interview requests, and outcomes
DIGITAL & SOCIAL MEDIA
- Develop and drive smart, engaging social media strategy across multiple platforms; involve Coqual staff and board as well as key external stakeholders in efforts
- Manage Coqual’s website: Surface improvements, keep up to date, upload and edit content via WordPress
- Lead production and posting of website content, including blog posts
- Gather, analyze, and use metrics to hone content
STRATEGY EXECUTION & SUPPORT
- Support Coqual’s overall brand and communications strategy
- Execute Coqual’s annual Marketing and Communication plan(s), in partnership with, as needed, internal and external parties
OTHER FOCUS AREAS
- Manage high-visibility corporate/ sponsor partnerships and ensure Coqual messaging is visible, accurate, and on-brand
- Manage multiple projects, simultaneously, from conception to completion, including anticipating challenges, meeting deadlines, coordinating thought-leader schedules, and creating workback plans
- Lead and facilitate the conducting of Coqual webinars
- Work with integrity, serve as a good teammate, and uphold Coqual’s values
- Other responsibilities as needed
- 5+ years of experience in communications and/or marketing, at either a top-level agency, nonprofit, or within a Fortune 500 Company, or the equivalent
- Superior writing skills are essential, including the ability to craft a convincing op-ed using Coqual data, an engaging social media post, clear and practical service information, and a stirring call to action
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, or Journalism a plus
- Strong media relations skills, including immediate response to media inquiries and experience working with journalists and editors to gain placements.
- Excellent social media strategic thinking and skills, including experience creating monthly content calendars
- Ongoing awareness of current events and related media coverage
- Reasonable quantitative acumen, with the ability to understand complex data and communicate relevant points to a lay audience
- Creative problem-solving skills, with ability to contribute to creation of stakeholder-oriented solutions
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with ability to manage multiple workstreams simultaneously, and lead project planning to meet deadlines
- Comfort and capability in public speaking
- Basic skills in Adobe Creative Cloud, including Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, as well as all Microsoft Office applications
- Familiarity in maintaining contact lists in Cision or other media contact software
- Highly discrete and disciplined in maintaining confidentiality
- Strong passion for Coqual’s mission, including diversity and inclusion topics and workplace solutions
Salary: Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits.
Location: Remote at present. Long-term location is New York, NY.
To be considered you must include these three elements:
1) two relevant writing samples
2) a resume
3) a cover letter that explains why you are interested in this job.
How to Apply
Please email resume, work samples, and cover letter to: [email protected]